[Home] [Groups] - Message: [Prev in Group] [Next in Group]

nu.kanga.list.mud-dev

17638: RE: [MUD-Dev] Player statistics

[Full Header] [Plain Text]
From: "David Kennerly" <dave@nexon.com>
Newsgroups: nu.kanga.list.mud-dev
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:05:03 -0800
Overall, Korean client and server technology is par with the best.
Quality and technology varies between companies and games, just as is
in the rest of the world.

Raph Koster:

> And the server tech for Kingdom of the Winds, at least, is
> apparently pretty sophisticated, based on the simultaneous user
> figure I've heard for a single world (over 12,000).

Now over 16,000 / server.

The same server engine (oddly named Doomvas[1] in 1994) hosts the
standard fare: quest scripting (I wrote 100,000+ lines of Dark Ages
script), high-level feature scripting, AI scripting, distributed
server (thus the 16,000+), a custom DB manager, 100+ various game
server mechanic data files (Examples: Items, Spells, Legends), and so
on.

I documented all these 150+ game server features in November, a
sanity-challenging month. :)

By 1998, Doomvas was remarkably stable.  When I operated Dark Ages, I
set a personal record of 3 or 4 months operation without a single
server crash.  I'm guessing this is remarkable.  I don't know what
other game server engines average.  Players tell me the EQ, UO,
etc. have a game server crash about once a week.  I'm skeptical of
many things I'm told.

Korean client tech lagged in 1997-1999, but new games (examples:
Tactical Commanders and Elemental Saga) are head-to-head with the best
in the world.

Dave Kennerly
Nexon Game Server Manual Author

[1] Distributed Object-Oriented Multimedia Virtual Adventure Space