[Home] [Groups] - Message: [Prev in Group] [Next in Group]

nu.kanga.list.mud-dev

21302: RE: [MUD-Dev] Respecting NPCs

[Full Header] [Plain Text]
From: "Michael Tresca" <talien@toast.net>
Newsgroups: nu.kanga.list.mud-dev
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 10:19:50 -0400
Jeff Freeman posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 11:07 AM

> This frustrates players who are looking for people to talk to,
> only to find idiotic NPCs at every turn.

Don't make idiotic NPCs in the first place.

> I favor the "Just tell me yes or no and then shut-up" approach to
> NPCs.

Which ultimately invalidates the point of having an NPC even look
like an intelligent being.  Make it a talking tree and that's fine
-- make it a human, and the reasonable baseline assumption is that
human (not "that NPC") will be capable of carrying on the most basic
of conversations.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien